It's been almost a year since I've blogged and I decided to make a quick one. Well, it's been almost a year since I've enlisted into National Service. It has been quite a great massive ride, if I must say.

It all started a year ago when I got enlisted into PES E BMT. I had no idea what was going to happen to me, but I went through it and during my 1 month of BMT, I actually secretly hoped that I would join the Multimedia department for NDP 2013. It was just a silent wish that I never told anyone, not my PCs, buddies, or even girlfriend. After awhile, I forgot about it and when BMT ended, I received my posting letter to report at Jurong Camp.

Over at Jurong camp, I was re-posted from 3 Div HQ to 17C4I, not knowing that 17 was anchoring the multimedia side for NDP 2013. I just thought that I would be posted there as a clerk to do the mundane paperworks. Imagine how I felt when I found out that I'm posted as a multimedia personnel for NDP 2013. Well, the NDP journey was actually mundane between December and April, being stuck in camp doing the pre-production planning and what-nots.

April arrived and we all moved out to the Floating Platform. That's when all the crazy hours started to flow in. I was the cinematographer and editor for a number of productions. Editor for 21 Gun Salute montage and Red Lions pre-recorded jump, cinematographer for PLAY and EXPRESS (Songs of Singapore) segments. The filming hours were long and regularly ate into my weekends. On top of that, I was the archiver who managed the archives and the middleman between my team's multimedia contents and the media server. Media server days involved me staying back as late as 4am at The Float just to pass the content over to be uploaded. many nights were spent at The Float and I was always ready to stayover with spare clothes and toiletries with me at my workspace. I guess I was quite lucky as I was the only one who had one long table all for myself because of the amount of work and physical archives that I had with me. I could sleep on my bench or even stretch out as much as I wanted to. Meals were always either KFC or Pizza Hut (and some times SFI) but we always skip it for food from Marina Square or Millenia Walk.

NDP 2013 was a good experience and I really enjoyed my time there. We had the luxury of reporting in the CBD instead of the faraway Jurong Camp, and shopping at MBS whenever we needed a walk or some snacks. If I had the chance to do this part of my life all over again, I would. Those were days of my life which I miss very much and can't forget. Almost every night I would think back and wish how nice it'd be if I was still doing NDP.

On the actual day, when I saw the fireworks go up at the last segment, all I could think of was, "We did so much in the past 8 months, all for one day, today". The journey was great, and it was really sad to see it end, just like that.

It has been 3 months since NDP 2013 ended, and I still think about the good times back then. I guess it's hard to explain how I feel in words. It's just... like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog